Tax Season is a big time for child support agencies. At Child Support Specialists we are looking to get large amounts of owed support during tax season. What are the pros and cons?
- A custodial parent can get support from the non- custodial parent even if he/she did not receive payment during the year.
- A parent can receive a large amount owed.
- It helps the non-custodial parent pay towards back support.
- The absent parent may not file for taxes.
- The absent parent may owe taxes and not have a return.
- A parent must have an order of support and the absent parent must be behind in support.
Some parents want to know if they will receive the tax return from the new spouse also. This can be done only if the absent parent filed with the new spouse. It can’t be done if they did not file together.
Do you have an agency working for you? We strongly suggest that you do so you can receive his/her tax return for child support. It’s that time of year.